Sometimes it is defeat
in the face of
what we can't change
or giving in
like hands of a clock
like the gradual opening
of a tightly held fist
into an open palm
We as a culture put a lot of emphasis on "struggle" ,on "resistance" and although it is fair enough to strive harder and struggle for certain ends in life, acceptance of our drawbacks , of some aims that could never be has its own charms, as it brings with itself immense peace.
Over the years these are few big and small things I have accepted as a person, as a woman and as a professional and these make me more at peace with myself:
- I can never remember all my passwords correctly.
- I can thrive in reasonable amount of clutter, that's my creative space.
- I can always prefer tea over coffee, even if coffee is more fashionable.
- I can never belong to one religion as my faith is as eccentric as my choice of junk jewellery.
- I can never overcome some medical conditions, only take better care of myself.
- I will always fail sometimes as a daughter, spouse, parent, friend, professional despite my best efforts and good intentions, its okay perfection is not human.
- I will love my body and my mind with all their flaws and chinks.
- I was born clumsy so now I smile at the spills.
- I accept my child with all her quirks and annoying behaviours , so I parent her not to correct her but to assist her accept herself too.
- Death, heartbreak, pain will come, embrace them with their lessons.